The Florence Baptistery of Saint John (Battistero di San Giovanni) is the Baptistery of the cathedral. The octagonal building stands in both the connected Piazza del Duomo and the Piazza San Giovanni in direct western neighbourhood of Florence Cathedral. The Baptistery is one of the oldest buildings in the city, constructed between 1059 and 1128 in the Florentine Romanesque style.
The Baptistery is renowned for its three sets of artistically important bronze doors with relief sculptures. The east doors facing the cathedral was created by Lorenzo Ghiberti. Michelangelo called the east doors the Gates of Paradise.
The Italian poet Dante Alighieri and many members of the Medici family were baptized in this baptistery.
Copyright by Rudi Prott.
April 1st, 2021
Viewed 228 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/28/2024 at 8:58 PM